Friday 11 December 2015

Flower Sprouts - A new addition to the veg scene



It's not often you can announce a new vegetable on the block, but Flower Sprouts are hitting the supermarkets after 15 years of hard work by the team at Tozer Seeds.

Flower Sprout is a non-GMO veg developed through a traditional process of hybridization rather than genetic modification.  Blending together the characteristics of kale and brussels sprouts, the end result is a beautiful new green, resembling a tiny cabbage with frilly leaves and hints of purple colouring.

For anyone who doesn't like traditional sprouts on their Christmas plate, this is the ideal alternative with its sweet and nutty flavour.  They are packed with vitamins too, containing twice the amount of both vitamin B6 and vitamin C compared to traditional sprouts.


They are easy to cook and versatile to use in a host of recipes, they can be steamed, stir-fried, sautéed, roasted or eaten raw.

We've used them as a tasty and pretty accompaniment to our Sunday roast, I've used some to make a delicious, hearty and healthy soup, and I used it as the base for these fun Christmas canapés.


Blending with pancetta and wasabi, these little bite sized treats have the perfect mix of salty bacon, warmth from the wasabi and sweet nutty flavour from the flower sprouts.  You could use this mix to fill ready-made vol au vents or mini savoury tarts for a quick and easy festive nibble.

Ingredients:

1 pack Flower Sprouts
65g pancetta
1/2 tsp wasabi paste
1 tsp cream cheese
10 ready made vol au vent cases


Steam the flower spouts for 5 minutes.  Heat your vol au vent cases in the oven following the pack instructions.  Meanwhile pan fry the pancetta until crispy and golden brown.  Drain off excess oil.

Blend the remaining ingredients before filling your cases.

Super-simple, takes less than 10 minutes and even my brussels sprout hating daughter enjoyed these.



Disclosure: I was sent a couple of packs of fresh Flower Sprouts to experiment with.

17 comments:

  1. Wow- it's not every day you can announce a new vegetable! I enjoyed reading about flower sprouts and your tree canapes are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new vegetable! Wow. I have seen them around (I think) but I am not a big fan of leafy greens so didn't pay them much attention, until now. I love brussels sprouts so anything that taste like that is worth a try in my book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen these before , need to check them out they look pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That IS a big annoucement!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw these in Lidl this week and wondered what they were. Thanks for enlightening us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of those, will definitely look out for some on my next shop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now these I could probably deal with. I'll have to keep a look out for them and I love your wee Christmas Tree bites

    ReplyDelete
  8. They sound and look lovely!! I will need to give them a try! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw them last week in the supermarket. I thought it was just a clever way to market 'blown' sprouts. I will give them a try as I am a real sprout fan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had these the other day and they were divine!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm quite intrigued. I haven't heard of this vegetable before but I do love green veg.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've not heard of these, but I'd love to try them. We all like brussel sprouts in our family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look so pretty - I'm going to try and get old of some for Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  14. How intriguing! I'd like to give them a try. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A novel way to get veggies in kids but those savoury biscuits look amazing

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bought these today and they look to perfect. I've eaten three raw already! Elinor x

    ReplyDelete
  17. how exciting and i love your can of peas

    ReplyDelete